{"title": "Nov '16 organ photos","images":[{"caption":"The Solo division, with its 16 stops, is set up in the Dobson erecting room. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/14.JPG"},{"caption":"The two-pressure Solo (most ranks on 10-inch wind, Trombone, Tuba and French Horn on 15-inch wind), make for a more complex system of bellows and ducts than the other departments. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/24.JPG"},{"caption":"Some of the organ’s structure is steel, such as these members that support the Swell windchests and swell box, where they extend clear of the chamber arch opening into the 1913 organ case. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/34.JPG"},{"caption":"Elsewhere, traditional wood members are used to support the organ’s chassis. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/44.JPG"},{"caption":"Once made, voiced and racked, the pipes are stored in trays. And, in an organ of this size, the trays seem to multiply all over the shop. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/52.JPG"},{"caption":"The elaborate console cabinet, designed by the Goodhue office and built in 1913, is being conservatively cleaned and repaired using the same methodology as that applied to all the chancel furniture. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/62.JPG"},{"caption":"Viewed from the front, the console has been emptied while parts of the interior are being made anew or renovated from existing components. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/72.JPG"},{"caption":"The pedalboard is original to 1913, built by the Ernest M. Skinner Company. It was refurbished in 1956, again in 1994, and now for a third time in 2016. It will doubtless be rebuilt many more times in the future. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/9.JPG"},{"caption":"Renewing the pedal keys involves checking the springs, renewing their felts, checking and refreshing the contract striker plates, and repainting them a bright black. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/10.JPG"},{"caption":"These original façade toeboards form the templates for those carrying the new polished tin façade pipes. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/111.JPG"},{"caption":"The 1913 zinc 16 Diapason façade pipe, CCC#. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/121.JPG"},{"caption":"The three large shutter fronts have been fashioned to fit into the Gothic arches of the organ chamber openings. Taken apart, they make for some curiously-shaped pieces. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/131.JPG"},{"caption":"Three vintage Skinner tremolo units, for the Swell, Choir and Solo divisions. One is being re-used from the existing Saint Thomas organ, the other two were acquired from Joe Sloane in Boston. All were restored by Dobson. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/141.JPG"},{"caption":"The tremolos are connected to the wind system using galvanized metal duct, as the Skinner and Aeolian-Skinner companies did. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/15.JPG"},{"caption":"Here, a length of tremolo duct is being soldered up. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/16.JPG"},{"caption":"Wind is supplied to every windchest via wooden ducts. In a large organs, these ducts multiply in number. The piles of them keep growing in the shop … ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/17.JPG"},{"caption":"… and growing … ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/18.JPG"},{"caption":"… and growing. The white strips of leather are expansion joints, which make installation easier and allow for movement of components due to wood expansion and contraction over time. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/19.JPG"},{"caption":"A stack of slider windchests ready to go and … ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/20.JPG"},{"caption":"…. All the toe and rackboards that mate to the tops of the slider windchests, to hold the pipes in place. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/211.JPG"},{"caption":"The new slider chests are fitted with electric magnets to operate the pallets. Bob Savage is shown wiring one magnet rail. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/221.JPG"},{"caption":"These windchests feed the pipes of the Pedal 32/16 Contrabass. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/231.JPG"},{"caption":"Along with 15 sets of pipes, some of the surviving 1956 Aeolian-Skinner windchests are being retained and refurbished for use in the new organ. This chest is from the Trompette-en-chamade. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/241.JPG"},{"caption":"The chest numbering, written in India ink, will be familiar to those who know Aeolian-Skinner work. In the refurbishment, new chest magnets and wiring have been fitted. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/25.JPG"},{"caption":"The computer-numeric-controlled router table (CNC) can perform complex cutting and drilling tasks, and has accomplished many tasks for the new organ. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/26.JPG"},{"caption":"The machine has multiple drill bits, and thus can perform different types of drilling and cutting on a single piece of material. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/27.JPG"},{"caption":"An end support piece for a manual windchest rackboard, midway through being drilled out on CNC machine. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/28.JPG"},{"caption":"Some of the carving has been done at the Dobson shop on the sophisticated computer-numerical-controlled router machine. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/291.JPG"},{"caption":"Several different panels have been created in this manner. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/301.JPG"},{"caption":"The machinery is able to finish the work to a level of surprising delicacy. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/322.JPG"},{"caption":"Some of the central case posts, with their carved spiral columns, are good examples of how Dobson’s case-building intersects with the Colliers’ carving work. The unfinished portions are from Dobson; the finished, from the Colliers. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/333.JPG"},{"caption":"Pipes of the new Choir 8 Spire Flute being finished in the Dobson pipemaking shop. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/342.JPG"},{"caption":"Jim Streufert is fitting the wood pipes of the Pedal 8-4-2 Bass Flute onto their windchest rack system. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/37.JPG"},{"caption":"One of Dobson’s newest employees, Ben Haskins, is polishing shallots from the retained Skinner 8 Vox Humana. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/38.JPG"},{"caption":"The new Pedal 32 Trombone, inside the Swell division and extended from that department’s 16 Double Trumpet, uses cylindrical Haskell-type resonators to reduce overall height and fit inside the Swell box rather than being mitered more traditionally. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/40.JPG"},{"caption":"The motors (blocks and boots) of the 1956 Aeolian-Skinner 32ft Bombarde, altered in the later 1960s, and now being restored by Dobson for use in the new organ. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/411.JPG"},{"caption":"John Streufert voicing the Swell 2 Fifteenth. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/421.JPG"},{"caption":"Bill Ayers voicing the Swell 8 Viole de Gambe and Viole Celeste. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/431.JPG"},{"caption":"Pipes of the Great V Cornet, made in the Dobson shop. ","src":"http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/uploads/photos/441.JPG"}]}