Calendar

Events

Friday, May 13, 2016

8:00 am, Chantry Chapel
12:10 pm, Chantry Chapel
12:45 pm – 1:45 pm, Living Room, Parish House
Father Spurlock offers a straight-forward Bible study.
5:30 pm, Chantry Chapel
7:30 pm – 9:30 pm, Saint Thomas Church
The Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys with Concert Royal and soloists. G.F. Handel's Italianate 'Dixit Domius' is paired with J.S. Bach's Cantatas 106 and 11, which expressively explore themes from death and the old law to paradise and the ascension. The Fifth Avenue doors open for this concert at 6:30pm.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

9:00 am – 3:00 pm, Fifth Avenue Entrance
9:30 am – 12:15 pm, Saint Thomas Church Parish House
10:00 am – 11:00 am, Saint Thomas Church Parish House
12:10 pm, Resurrection Chapel
This is the monthly said requiem in memory of all faithful departed.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

THE DAY OF PENTECOST (WHITSUNDAY)

Today we mark the arrival of the Holy Spirit, the Counselor, the Comforter, an arrival which (2,000 years ago) transformed fearful and self-conscious men and women into fearless and selfless evangelists for Christ. Pentecost is, in many ways, the birthday of the Church. But it is not merely that. It is the acknowledgement and celebration of the on-going action of God in our lives, through the Spirit.

To gain a richer understanding, consider these sermons:

I Believe in the Holy Ghost (2011) by Fr Daniels
A Sermon for the Day of Pentecost (2010) by John Polkinghorne
The Holy Spirit Gives us a Future (2010) by Fr Austin
From Pentecost to Pop Hale to Fifth Avenue (2009) by Fr Mead
Three Points about Pentecost (2008) by Fr Mead
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, There is Freedom (2006) by Fr Austin

Collect:

O God, who on this day didst teach the hearts of thy faithful people by sending to them the light of thy Holy Spirit: Grant us by the same Spirit to have a right judgment in all things, and evermore to rejoice in his holy comfort; through the merits of Christ Jesus our Savior, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the same Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.

8:00 am, Chantry Chapel
9:00 am, Parish House
9:00 am, High Altar
Sung by the Junior Choristers.
9:45 am – 10:30 am, 2nd Floor, Parish House
10:00 am – 10:45 am, 5th Floor, Parish House
In these final Sunday theology classes, Father Austin returns to the beginning of the Bible. He will be looking particularly at questions of rule and animals, and our relations one to another.
11:00 am, Parish House
This is the final Sunday School class in the Spring 2016 term. There will be no more Sunday School classes until the weekend after Labor Day. Nursery care will continue to be available for the 9am and 11am masses as usual.
11:00 am, High Altar
Sung by the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys. Sermon by Bp Shin.
11:00 am, Parish House
12:30 pm – 1:15 pm, 2nd Floor, Parish House
12:30 pm – 1:15 pm, Saint Thomas Church (meet in Narthex, just inside the Fifth Avenue entrance)
4:00 pm, High Altar
Sung by the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys. Sermon by Fr Turner.
5:15 pm, Saint Thomas Church

Monday, May 16, 2016

First Book of Common Prayer

Lesser Feasts and Fasts recounts the history of the Prayer Book in this way:

The first Book of Common Prayer came into use on the Day of  Pentecost, June 9, 1549, in the second year of the reign of King Edward the Sixth. From it have descended all subsequent editions and revisions of the Book in the Churches of the Anglican Communion. 

Though prepared by a commission of learned bishops and priests, the format, substance, and style of the Prayer Book were primarily the work of Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1533-1556. The principal sources  employed in its compilation were the medieval Latin service books of the Use of Sarum (Salisbury), with enrichments from the Greek liturgies, certain ancient Gallican rites, the vernacular German forms prepared by Luther, and a revised Latin liturgy of the reforming Archbishop Hermann of Cologne. The Psalter and other biblical passages were drawn from the English “Great Bible” authorized by King Henry the Eighth in 1539, and the Litany was taken from the English form issued as early as 1544.

The originality of the Prayer Book, apart from the felicitous translations and paraphrases of the old Latin forms, lay in its simplification of the complicated liturgical usages of the medieval Church, so that it was suitable for use by the laity as well as by the clergy. The Book thus became both a manual of common worship for Anglicans and a primary resource for their personal spirituality.

At Saint Thomas, all Eucharists utilize the 1979 Prayer Book, either Rite I or Rite II, depending on the service. The relevant words are printed on service cards so that worshippers may fully participate. We keep 1928 Prayer Books in the pews because the Daily Office (Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and Evensong) are carried out according to 1928 language, and also because the Psalter in the 1928 Prayer Book is close to the language of the Coverdale Psalter used by the Choir.

Collect:

Almighty and everliving God, whose servant Thomas Cranmer, with others, did restore the language of the people in the prayers of thy Church: Make us always thankful for this heritage; and help us so to pray in the Spirit and with the understanding, that we may worthily magnify thy holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

7:30 am – 6:30 pm, Fifth Avenue Entrance
8:00 am, Chantry Chapel
12:10 pm, Chantry Chapel
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm, Saint Thomas Church Parish House
12:40 pm – 1:20 pm, Living Room, Parish House
In these final Sunday theology classes, Father Austin returns to the beginning of the Bible. He will be looking particularly at questions of rule and animals, and our relations one to another.
5:30 pm, Chantry Chapel
6:15 pm – 7:45 pm, Andrew Hall, Parish House
Fr Austin guides this discussion of a classic by Samuel Langhorne Clemens (otherwise known as Mark Twain).

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

7:30 am – 6:30 pm, Fifth Avenue Entrance
7:45 am – 8:45 am, Saint Thomas Church Parish House