Although Christmastide doesn't officially begin until the evening of December 24, the celebration of Christmas blends into Advent throughout December as follows:
- Handel's Messiah is performed by the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys alongside New York Baroque Incorporated, soprano Elizabeth Weisberg, mezzo-soprano Meg Bragle, tenor Thomas Cooley and bass Alexander Dobson on December 4 and December 6 at 7:30pm. These are ticketed concerts.
- Four different services of Lessons and Carols are offered beginning December 16. See more below.
- Britten's Ceremony of Carols is perfomed by the choristers of Saint Thomas on December 13 at 5:30pm. This is a ticketed event.
- The Blessing of the Crèche (a service for children and their families) is on December 20 at 5:30pm.
- The Solemn Eucharist of the Nativity is on Christmas Eve at 11pm (Midnight Mass) and Christmas Day at 11am. See more below.
At Saint Thomas, we offer variations of Lessons & Carols at four services from December 15 through December 24:
- The traditional Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols is on Sunday, December 23 at 4pm and repeated on Christmas Eve at 4pm.
- A shorter Service of Christmas Lessons and Carols (lasting approximately fifty minutes) is on Saturday, December 15, at 4pm and repeated on Wednesday, December 19, at 12:10pm.
In 2018, we bless the crèche on December 20. The blessing occurs at a service designed specifically for children and their families. The service begins at 5:30pm and is sung by the boy choristers.
Please be aware that the church will likely be full to capacity for both services on Christmas Eve. All three services are sung by the Saint Thomas Choir of Men & Boys. And all three services, as well as all the choral services throughout the season, will be webcast live, and available on demand for many weeks following. So whether you are with us in person, or via webcast, you are most welcome to take part.
O come, let us adore him.